Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature electric breast pump Review
Breast milk is the vital nutrition that comes directly from a loving mother to nourish her newborn child.
Containing all of the essential vitamins and nutrients your baby will need for healthy development, mums are made to provide for and to sustain their beloved babies.
But, despite breast milk coming directly from mum, it can sometimes be difficult to get it from the source to your baby.
Certain circumstances can make natural breastfeeding hard on mum or even painful, with sore nipples being an all-too-real threat to breastfeeding mums everywhere.
That’s where breast pumps come into play.
Do you want your products to be reviewed by our expert mothers?
Get your pregnancy and baby products exposed to over 50,000 new Australian mothers per month!
Manual or electric, breast pump allows mum to gently express her milk to serve or store for future feedings, removing a lot of the stress and discomfort natural breastfeeding may cause.
If you can naturally breastfeed your baby, it’s a wonderful way to form a loving bond with your child, but if not there is no need to fret.
Breast pumps are here to allow you to give your milk to your baby even when direct breastfeeding isn’t an option or when mum is away.
While manual pumps can be effective, it’s hard to beat the convenience of an automated electric pump when expressing milk.
Achieving let down has never been simpler and multiple settings on these pumps allow mum to express at a speed that meets her comfort.
But how do you know if you’ll find a certain pump to be comfortable and just right for you?
Well, researching the product and hearing what other mums have to say can go a long in way in giving you the peace of mind you need to make an informed purchase.
And, being a mother who has tested numerous pumps in her time, perhaps this article will be able to help you!
A personal recommendation, coming from this mum personally while also being highly recommended among friends and family members who have breastfed, is TommeeTippee’s Closer to Nature Electric Breast Pump.
TommeeTippee Closer to Nature Electric Breast Pump:
· Soft Silicone Cup – Silicone is a body-safe material, making the pump’s cup gentle on mum’s breasts.
· Mimics Baby Suction – The special massaging pattern of the suction imitates a baby’s suction for maximum, natural milk expression.
· Multi-Use Power Options – The Electric Pump can be powered by either electricity or batteries, allowing you to operate the pump at home or on the go.
· Efficient Milk Expression Controls – The remote with 4 setting options allows mum to select her let down and flow settings for the most comfortable pumping experience with a 0% backfllow guarantee.
· Simple Cleaning and Assembly – The easy to clean and assemble pieces makes the Closer to Nature Pump convenient to sanitize and use.
· Includes Microwavable Sanitation Box – Making sanitizing the parts even simpler, the set includes a Microwave Sterilizer Box.
· Additional Storage Pot – A bonus Milk Storage Pot gives you an extra container to express milk into for easy storage.
Tommee Tippee’s Electric Pump – Assembly and Use
Before bringing anything close to your baby, you must remember to thoroughly sterilize it to remove potentially harmful contaminants.
Sterilizing the parts of your electric pump is extra important as they will be coming in contact with the breastmilk your baby will be consuming.
Everything except for the air tube, Mains Power Adapter, and remote must be sterilized before each pumping session.
Conveniently enough, the TommeeTippee Closer to Nature Electric Breast Pump set includes a Microwave Sterilizer Box.
You can fill the bottle that comes in the set to the 200 mL line, add the water to the box, and place the disassembled parts into this container.
Next, snap the lid in place and microwave for around two minutes to sterilize the parts.
The next step is the put together the pump, and all of the pieces snap together with such ease and it’s easy to tell which part goes where.
Ensure each part is aligned properly with where you are attaching it and make sure it’s a secure fit.
The bottle attaches directly to the pump, so when you begin to express your milk it will be going straight to your baby’s bottle unless you’re expressing into the storage jar to save for a later feeding.
At this stage, your pump has been assembled and it’s time to put it to use.
Find somewhere comfortable and relaxing to do your pumping, as this will promote a healthier milk flow, and fit the silicone cup over your breast.
Use the power button setting in the middle of the control to begin the pump.
It should only take a few seconds for your milk to let down and, within a minute or two, it will begin to flow.
Here you can change to the first pumping setting and gradually progress to the two higher levels at your own comfortable pace.
When expressing, remember to not cover the small vent and be sure to hold the bottle or storage jar at an even level.
If expressing into the bottle, it is recommended you stop before passing the 150 mL line, while you should not surpass the 50 mL line of the storage pot.
With the bottle, when you’re done pumping and you have turned off the pump, you can remove the bottle from the pump and seal on the nipple for your baby’s feeding.
Closer to Nature Pump – Pricing and Competitor Breast Pumps
One of the greatest aspects of the Closer to Nature Pump is everything the set includes when you purchase it, giving you more value for your money.
Along with the pump the set includes:
· 1 x Closer to Nature Easi-Vent 150ml Baby Bottle
· 1 x Milk Storage Pot
· 6 x Disposable Breast Pads
· 1 x Microwave Sterilizer Box
With all of these great additional add-ons increasing the overall value and deal you’re receiving when purchasing the TommeeTippee Closer to Nature Electric Breast Pump, how much is it priced at to begin with?
TommeeTippee’s webpage links to three retailers, Big W, Baby Bunting, and Babies R Us, that all sell the pump for around $200.
As mentioned earlier, the Closer to Nature Pump isn’t the only one this mum has used, and it certainly isn’t the only on worth mentioning and giving a recommendation to.
Other similar competitor products include:
1. Comfort Electric Breast Pump by Philips Avent–Coming in both single and double pump variants, Philips Avent’s Comfort Pump is rightfully named, supplying an extremely comfortable pumping experience with a soft massage cushion, a gentle stimulation mode, and 3 pumping settings.
2. Electric Breast Pump Pro by Pigeon–Pigeon’s pump features a unique LCD display where you can quickly and easily change between your settings – with 28 different comfort settings available – while monitoring your pumping time.
3. Swing Maxi Electric Pump by Medela–Another pump offering two versions for either a single or double pump, Medela’s Swing Maxi Pump is efficient, comfortable, and an all-around great breast pump with its 2-Phase expression technology and fitted breast shield.
About TommeeTippee – Brand Awareness
A part of product research some mums may overlook is the background check into the manufacturer of the products.
It’s important to know if they are an exemplary company upholding family and societal values to know if they are someone you should be supporting and trusting to take care of your baby’s needs.
So, who is Tommee Tippee?
TommeeTippee is a brand centered around producing global baby essentials and is owned by the Mayborn Group.
Originally launched in the UK back in 1965, they have since spread to supplying over 70 countries around the world with their range of baby feeding, hygeine, and soothing products.
The Mayborn Group is a supporter of Miracle Babies, Australia’s leading organization fighting to support and protect the lives of premature and sick newborns, their families, and the hospitals specialized in caring for them.
It’s a wonderful cause to assist and, with the Mayborn Group’s help, Miracle Babies is able to offer assistance by funding equipment, resources, and research to help out the families of these newborns that are in need of special care to survive.
Final Thoughts on Closer to Nature Electric Breast Pump
The brand gets the approval of this mom from not only providing high-quality products, but by proving they are an institute that cares about the lives of newborns and their families.
And their products such as the Closer to Nature Electric Breast Pump do help out newborns and their families as well, giving mum a simple and comfortable expression experience to provide her baby with fresh breastmilk.
· Price – 9/10
· Comfort – 8/10
· Quality – 8/10
· Milk Expression – 8/10
· Brand – 10/10
· Assembly/Cleaning – 9/10
How much does it cost?
Where to buy?
Check current price on Amazon Australia