Blackmores Newborn Formula
The decision to formula feed your baby over natural breastfeeding is a tough one for any mum to make.
One’s specific lifestyle or medical history may prevent breastfeeding from being a viable option, and while breastfeeding is the recommended method of supplying your newborn with the necessary nutrients for their development there are a number of alternatives available for women who may be incapable of breastfeeding.
There can be a certain stigma or societal pressure about using formula, but rest assured these products are specially designed with your baby’s health in mind.
As a mother who was unable to breastfeed, the existence of formula was truly a lifesaver.
Like with any baby food, or any other baby products in general, its vital to know what exactly you are giving to your child.
Do you want your products to be reviewed by our expert mothers?
Get your pregnancy and baby products exposed to over 50,000 new Australian mothers per month!
Their wellbeing is paramount at all times and it’s up to mum to keep them safe, healthy, and happy.
There are many baby formulas on the market and some try to take cheap shortcuts in order to makea profit – you do not want to support these businesses or give their products to your baby, even if it does mean saving a few bucks.
Spending a little extra cash for higher quality goods is necessary.
You’re investing in the peace of mind these products give you in knowing your baby is being well taken care of, something that is priceless.
Finding a quality formula you can trust is important, and you want to make sure the product is good from thorough research before giving something you are unsure of to your newborn.
Ingredient and nutritional comparisons, pricing the products, and investigating the manufacturers behind dozens of products takes a lot of time and energy.
That’s why this mom is here to give you the run down on a personally used product and share some insight on other good alternatives you may want to consider.
However, the formula that will be receiving the most focus here today is Blackmores Newborn Formula.
Blackmores NewbornFormula – Quick Overview:
· Tatura Dairy – Blackmores is partnered with Tatura, one of the largest Australian-owned dairy producers of Infant Care, to ensure your baby receives only the freshest, highest quality milk.
· Contains 25 Nutrients – Their ingredients provide a combination of vitamins, minerals, and prebiotics that help to give your baby the nutrition they need.
· From Australia’s leading natural health brand – Blackmores has been rated Australia’s most trusted Vitamin and Supplement Brand for years.
Details, Preparation, and Use
The ingredients are the primary factor of any formula mum needs to investigate before selecting a formula.
Whether it’s to search for allergens or to assure only quality ingredients are being used, it’s up to you to make informed choices for your newborn.
Formulas can have rather lengthy and complicated-sounding ingredient lists, but don’t worry, they aren’t as scary as they may appear to be.
Blackmores Newborn Formula’s Ingredients, as listed on their website:
Milk Solids, Vegetable Oil Blend, Lactose, Galacto-oligosaccharide (GOS), Emulsifiers (Soy Lecithin, Mono- and Di-glycerides), Docosahexaenoic Acid Oil (DHA), Arachidonic Acid Oil (ARA), Taurine, Nucleotides (5’-CMP, 5’-AMP, di Sodium 5’-UMP, di Sodium 5’-IMP, di Sodium 5’-GMP), Lutein, Antioxidants (Sodium Ascorbate, mixed Tocopherols concentrate, Ascorbyl Palmitate).
Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, di Sodium Phosphate, Magnesium Sulphate, Ferric Pyrophosphate, Zinc Sulphate, tri Calcium Phosphate, Copper Sulphate, Manganese Sulphate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite).
Vitamins (L-Sodium Ascorbate (vitamin C), Inositol, d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E), Retinyl Acetate (vitamin A), Nicotinamide (vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (vitamin B5), Cholecalciferol (vitamin D), Thiamin Hydrochloride (vitamin B1), Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Folic Acid (vitamin B9), Phytonadione (vitamin K1), D-Biotin, Cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12)).
One of the big things to note is that Blackmores Newborn Formula contains both Milk Solids and Soy Lecithin, meaning both Milk and Soy are present in this formula.
Some mums choose either milk-based or soy-based formulas depending on their baby’s reaction to each.
When switching between different types of formulas it’s important to choose one that’s the same type as the previous formula, either milk or soy, unless the reason for the switch is specifically due to the previous type not settling well for your baby.
With Blackmores including both ingredients your baby may have an easier time switching to a formula that falls on either side.
You can find a full list of the nutritional elements of the formula on Blackmores website, including the quantity of each found on average in a 100 mL bottle of prepared formula.
However, it can be noted that the formula boasts contained 25 key nutrients, including prebiotics, to help your baby grow up big and strong.
To make this prepared formula, you merely need to follow the simple preparation instructions.
1. Wash the bottle and nipple, your hands, and anything else that will come into contact with the formula or your baby.
2. Once the equipment – the bottle and nipple – are clean, be sure to sterilize them in boiling water for 5 minutes.
3. Boil fresh drinking water for 5 minutes – do not use the same water you used to sterilize your equipment – and allow it to sit to cool.
4. Once it has cooled, consult the feeding guide located on the product’s packaging label in order to measure out the required amounts of formula and water.
5. Using the scoop provided with the formula, fill it up to the appropriate measurement and use the levelling blade on the tin to ensure there is no excess powder above the line.
6. Pour the powder into the prepared water, put the cap on the bottle, and shake it until the entirety of the powder has dissolved.
7. Before feeding the prepared formula to your baby, temperature check the formula on your wrist – the skin here is thinner and more sensitive than on the rest of your body, allowing it to be a good comparison to how the formula will feel to your baby.
Price of Product and Similar Products
Blackmores website is a convenient store where you can purchase the formula online when it is in stock.
Their listed price for the 900 g contained of Blackmores Newborn Formula is $29.99, placing the formula at $0.03 per gram.
Other stores also carry Blackmores products, such as Australia’s #1 Online Pharmacy Chemist Warehouse.
Chemist Warehouse is known for their Lowest Price Guarantee, and in accordance with this you can find Blackmores Newborn Formula for just $19.99. Big W, Woolworths, and other large retailers and pharmacies are also known to carry Blackmores Newborn Formula, allowing you to purchase it at the store of your choice.
But, as mentioned earlier on, you shouldn’t feel like Blackmores Newborn Formula is your only choice – it isn’t. It’s simply natural for it to get such an in-depth analysis when it’s the product primarily being talked about, but there are a few similar products worth mentioning so you can assess the competition yourself.
· A2 Platinum Premium Infant Formula – This Premium Infant food is designed for children 0-6 months of age and is a nutritionally balanced formula contained A2 Beta-Casein Protein, and is available at Coles, otherindependent stores, and select Pharmacies.
· Karicare+ Infant Formula – Manufactured by Karinourish, this breast milk substitute is ideal for mixed feedings –that is, a diet of both formula and breast milk – from birth.
· Bellamy’s Organic Infant Formula – Coming in a 900 g tub like Blackmores Newborn Formula, Bellamy’s Organic Infant Formula is a whey dominant formula that is made from organic cow’s milk with additional vitamins, minerals, and iron for your baby’s health.
Behind the Brand and Manufacturer
Blackmores has made itself a household name in Australia as being the country’s leading natural health company.
Receiving a multitude of awards from being the Most Trusted Brand in Vitamins and Supplements, Leadership Awards, the National Export Award, the Aon Best Employer award, and more.
They’ve grown exponentially since the company’s founding back in 1930 and have achieved great success.
Founded in 1930 by Maurice Blackmore, the company has worked ever since to reach Blackmores’ vision of a more natural, environmental-friendly way of life and medicine.
His son Marcus took over the company after his father, keeping his vision alive in seeking a holistic approach to health and wellbeing.
With Blackmores Newborn Formula, however, it’s also worth noting that Tatura is involved.
Tatura is the largest Australian owned Infant Formula (and Cream Cheese!).
Tatura has been manufacturing milk since 1907.
Today they have a wide range of milk products with added nutrients meant to promote the health of various age groups, including dairy products meant specifically for women attempting to conceive, pregnant women, and infants.
Review Summary and Thoughts
Produced as a collaborative by two incredible local Australian companies,the family and health-oriented values of each helps to make Blackmores Newborn Formula an even better product to support.
The ingredients and nutritional value of the formula is exactly what your baby needs for healthy development in the case that mum is unable to breastfeed.
Breastfeeding will always be the better alternative, a mother’s body is made to support her child and their needs, but as far as formulas go it’s hard to beat Blackmores’.
How much does it cost?
Where to buy?
Check the discounted price on Chemist Warehouse